About Our Program and Services
The three Peer Counselors on our staff, cancer survivors themselves, provide personalized support, info and guidance to hundreds of women and families every year. They are a lifeline to those facing the many challenges of cancer diagnosis, treatment, and recovery.
In addition to providing one-on-one support and guidance to those dealing with breast or ovarian cancer, our Peer Counselors also plan and implement all of our other free support services, such as support groups, educational and wellness programs, social gatherings for cancer survivors educational programs. Our peer-to-peer approach to service provision is the key to meeting the needs of the people we serve.
What You Helped Us Accomplish in 2018
Here are some of the ways Support Connection helped people who’ve been impacted by breast or ovarian cancer in 2018. We couldn’t do it without you!
- Offered critically needed help, information and assistance to 549 different people affected by breast and ovarian cancer. More than half of these people (57%) contacted our Peer Counselors on multiple occasions.
- Provided 1,066 sessions of Individual Counseling, offering in-depth, personalized peer-to-peer support to cancer survivors, family members, friends.
- Enabled 103 different women with breast or ovarian cancer to gain strength and hope from one another in our Ongoing Support Groups. We led 147 hours of support groups altogether in 2018.
- Enhanced the well-being of 143 people living with cancer who participated in our year-round calendar of Educational Programs. We held 16 programs in 2018, including:presentations by health care experts; topic-focused discussion groups; therapeutic activities such as arts & crafts; social activities enabling women to meet other cancer survivors; wellness workshops such as Tai Chi.
- Brought relaxation and healing to women living with cancer by hosting our year-round Yoga Classes taught by professional instructors. Forty sessions were held, enabling women to learn and gain skills throughout the year.
- Provided vital educational information to 75 different women with breast and ovarian cancer across the country by offering 3 free national webinars. Our speakers were well-known physicians from Columbia University, NYU Langone Perlmutter Cancer Center, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Hosted our 15th Annual Celebrate Life Day in recognition of National Cancer Survivors Day in June. More than 140 people – cancer survivors and their guests – gathered for an inspirational morning of music, brunch, and sharing of stories about life after cancer.