ANNUAL SUPPORT-A-WALK ~ SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2017
Tips for Online Fundraisers
Do you feel hesitant to ask others to donate? Don’t worry- it’s okay to ask! Most people are happy to support a good cause.
Here are some tips to help you:
Donors consider it a gift to participate in something bigger than themselves. People feel good when they know they’ve helped others.
Tell people enthusiastically about why you’re involved – they’ll be inspired and excited to give!
Some fundraisers choose to tell personal stories to encourage others to support us. Maybe Support Connection has helped you or someone you know.
Or, you can share these more personal details in the emails you send.
Donors like to know their contribution has an impact. Use these quick facts about Support Connection to let people know their donations will make a REAL difference:
- Close to 90¢ of every dollar donated goes directly towards our free breast and ovarian cancer support services.
- All of our services and programs are provided free of charge: counseling, support groups, educational programs, wellness classes, resource referrals.
- Our services are unlimited. We’re here as often as you need us, for as long as you need us.
- Each year, our Peer Counselors help more than 500 different people. Most people reach out to us multiple times.
- We do not receive funds from any national cancer organizations. Your donations enable us to do what we do.
So yes, it’s okay to ask! But how can you ask?
Ask from your personal email account
Email everyone in your contact list. Tell people why you’re fundraising.
Include the URL of your fundraising page in your email. When people receive your email, they’ll click the link, see your page, and donate.
Not sure what to say? Check out our sample email.
Ask from your Firstgiving account
Firstgiving has great email tools!
Sign in to your account at Firstgiving and click “Edit.” Select “Send your page via email.” Follow the steps to add or select email addresses and send your messages!
Ask via social media
Sign in to your account at Firstgiving and click “Edit.” You’ll see options for posting to Facebook and Twitter.
OR, while viewing YOUR fundraising page, click the icons at the top for LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Frequently Asked Questions
I started a fundraising page but now I can’t find it.
Search for your fundraising page here.
I don’t know what a “URL” is.
The URL is the address at the top of your fundraising page and looks like this: https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/your-page-name/walk2017. Include this URL in your emails. When the recipient clicks on it, your page will open up for them.
I’d like to learn more about the Support-A-Walk.
Click here for our Support-A-Walk Overview.
I still have some questions.
For all of our Support-A-Walk fundraising blog posts, click here.