Form or Join A Team
ANNUAL SUPPORT-A-WALK ~ SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2017
The Support-A-Walk is our most important annual fundraiser. We rely on YOUR donations to sustain our free breast and ovarian cancer support services. We do NOT receive funds from: Relay for Life, the Avon Walk, Making Strides, Susan G. Komen, or any other national cancer groups.
We ask anyone who attends the Walk to donate, whatever amount they can. EVERY donation makes a difference!
Forming a Team is a great way to increase your fundraising potential. It’s simple! Just ask others to be part of your team and raise funds with you.
Don’t forget to donate to your own Team. It’s a great way to get things started!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Team?
A Team is a group of people who decide to work together to raise funds for the Support-A-Walk. They choose a Team name, then everyone on the Team seeks donations for the Team.
What do Team members do?
Each Team member reaches out to their own family, friends, co-workers and neighbors to ask them for donations for the Team.
How many people do I need to form a Team?
A Team can have as many members as you’d like. If you don’t know anyone else who’s able to fundraise with you, you can be a Team of one!
Do I have to attend the Walk to be part of a Team?
No. You can raise funds for a Team even if you can’t be there!
How can Teams gather donations?
There are 2 simple ways to ask for donations. Teams can do one or the other, or both:
Online: Each Team member creates a personal fundraising page for the Team, then shares their page via email and social media, asking people to make a secure, online donation. Donations from all Team member pages are combined for a Team total.
Offline: Each Team member asks for donations via cash or checks. They put the Team name on this Collection Form and keep track of donations they collect. Donations from all forms with the Team name are combined for a Team total.
How do I START a Team?
Choose a Team name. Decide if you want to start your Team online or offline:
Start a Team online:
- Go to our 2017 Support-A-Walk fundraising home page.
- Click “Fundraise”. Sign in or create an account.
- Choose “I want to create my own Team”. Follow the steps to create your personal online fundraising page. The Team name will be on your page.
- Share your personal page with family and friends:
- Ask them to donate.
- Invite them to be part of your team: Tell them to click “Join Team” at the bottom of your page then follow the steps to create their own page. Your Team name will be on their page.
Start a Team offline:
- Print this Collection Form. Put your Team name on it. Use it to collect cash or checks from family and friends.
- Give blank copies of the Collection Form to family and friends.
- Ask family and friends to gather donations for your Team. Make sure your Team name is on every form.
How do I JOIN a Team?
Find out if the Team is raising funds online or offline:
Join an online Team:
- Search for the Team name here. Choose “Join Team,” then create your fundraising page.
- Or, search for the name of a Team member here. View their page, look at the bottom and click “Join Team,” then create your fundraising page.
- The Team name will be on your page. Share your page with family and friends, asking them to donate.
Join an offline Team:
- Print this Collection Form for gathering cash and checks .
- Ask family and friends to donate.
- Write the Team name on the form and submit with your donations.
I had a Team last year. Can I have the same Team this year?
Each year’s Support-A-Walk is a separate or new event for fundraising purposes, both online and offline. But, you’re welcome to use the same Team name year after year.
I started a fundraising page but forgot to join the Team. Can I join it now?
Yes! Follow these simple instructions to join a Team after your fundraising page is already started.
How can I learn more about raising funds?
Read our Fundraising FAQ’s.
What else can we do as a Team?
Plan a fun activity together: Remember: The first three letters of fundraising are FUN! It’s easy to increase your donation total with a tag sale, car wash, bake sale, lemonade stand, party, barbecue….. the possibilities are endless. We’re happy to help with tips and ideas.
Tribute Message Signs: Tribute Messages are 20″ X 12″ signs we’ll display at the Walk for thousands to see. They can celebrate or remember a loved one, or share a message of support from an individual or business. View a sample sign. Team members can purchase signs or ask others to do so. Download an order form.
Enjoy the Support-A-Walk: Make plans to walk together. Create a Team banner or even Team shirts. Gather for a Team photo. It’s a wonderful day for community and Team spirit!
Are there awards for top Teams?
Ray of Hope Champions: Meet special fundraising goals before the day of the Walk and earn Ray of Hope status for your Team. Learn how you can be a Champion!
Team Spirit Awards: Earn an award for having great Team Spirit!
How do I donate to a Team or Team Member?
- Find an online Team.
- Find an online Team member.
- To donate to a Team or Team member by cash or check, use this form.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Asking for Donations: If you’re not sure what to say, look at our sample email.
Matching Gifts: Many employers will match contributions made by their employees. This can double or even triple your donation! Check here to see if your employer has a matching gift program. Support Connection, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit organization.
Walk Tee-Shirts: Anyone who earns a Walk tee-shirt ($50 donation, $25 for each additional shirt) must pick up the shirts at our office before the Walk. Team Captains can pick them up for their Team members.